Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Mexican Feast

This past weekend we have been enjoying some Mexican food courtesy of Discovery Foods with the addition of some homemade garlic flat breads and Mexican snacks (Recipes included below).


We decided to try the bottle of Cajun season and sauce mix first.  I personally like spicy food, not things really spicy but just a little kick.  The Girl is exactly the same, the spicier then better.  Strangely when I was pregnant with her I craved spice and she does have a real love for such foods.  With the Boy I craved sweet things and he loves sweet things way too much.  Unlike the Girl he is not a fan of too much spice.  I should not have been worried with this sauce as it suited all 3 palettes well.

I cut up 3 chicken breasts and sprayed some low cal spray on.  I then added the spice mix which snaps on to the jar lid.  I did struggle a bit to be honest to get the spice pack off.  The boy ended up doing it for me but I do have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome in both hands and tend to struggle with such things.  Having said that it was easy enough for a child to remove so couldn't have been that tight.


The chicken mix was poured in to a nonstick pan and cooked.


Once cooked, the sauce was added.  You will be pleased to know there was no problem with the jar lid removal!


I boiled some white rice to serve it with and added some tortilla chips as a side (recipe below) with salsa and garlic and herb soured cream.


The second Mexican meal we had was made using the Fajita kit.  The kit contained 8 flour tortillas, a packet of Mexican spice mix and salsa.  The meat was sprayed with some low fat spray and the packet of spices added.  This was mixed well and then cooked in a non stick pan.


Tortilla's were warmed in the oven whilst this meat was cooking.


Now the simple part, place some chicken, salsa and soured cream on the tortilla and roll.  Its that simple.  I like to get the kids involved and place everything on the table and get everyone to make their own.


The pack comes with 8 tortillas but we only used 6 of them.  The remaining 2 made a third meal.  Whilst the pan was still hot I placed the tortillas in the spicy oil and pressed down.


Rolled them up and cut in to strips.  We had some salsa and chicken left over which I placed in a bowl, popped in a bag and put in the fridge.


Next day I put everything in a nonstick pan, added some thinly sliced choziro and warmed through.


Beat 3 eggs and added to the pan with a sprinkling of cheese.  Once the bottom was set, I popped it under the grill to brown the top.


This served 3 of us for a spicy breakfast.  Served with soured cream and salsa.  

The bottle of soured cream goes a long way and seems to go on forever!  For a snack the children had tortilla chips, sprinkled with cheese.  I popped these in the microwave to melt the cheese and topped with soured cream and salsa.


Even after all these meals we still had soured cream left. I made some garlic flat breads:  

250 g bread flour
1 heaped teaspoon of baking powder
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
pinch of salt
140 ml water
A good glug of olive oil



Mix well then place on a floured surface and kneed for a little while.


Break into small pieces and make flat.


Place in a heated non stick pan (no oil needed).  Cook for about 3/4 minutes and turn.


Cook the other side for a couple of minutes.


Once cooked, sprinkle cheese (the breads are still hot, so the cheese will melt), top with salsa and soured cream.


We all enjoyed these meals and both the kids asked if we could have them again really soon.  

The sauces are slightly spiced so adults will enjoy but still mild enough to suit a child's palette   I find it difficult for both my children to eat the exact same meal as me but with these kits and sauces we enjoyed a number of tasty meals and snacks with no changes being made for them.  Win Win in my eyes.

Just so you know, we still have 1/3 bottle of the soured cream left.  It really has gone a long way.

You can find other recipes at the Discovery Foods website.

For the purpose of this review we were provided with a Perfect Fajita Kit, a jar of Cajun Season & Sauce and a bottle of Garlic and Herb Soured Cream.  All other ingredients were added by myself.  All views contained here are my own with snippets from The Boy & The Girl.

4 comments:

May said...

Wow, that sounds delicious! I must make fajitas again, I have half a packet of Discovery mix in the cupboard. That breakfast looks particularly good, how enterprising :)

Rhonda Halushka said...

looks yummy!

Fran said...

Yum, looks good. I live in Texas USA
and Mexican food is an "at least once a week" staple in our menu. You did a good job!

Stitching Lady said...

Goodness, what lovely recipes - I can't look at them without getting hungry - having been on tour today on awfully crowded roads -