Friday, September 20, 2013

Beautiful Roman City Of Bath

Last weekend we were lucky to be able to take some time away from home by having a very short City break.  I've missed not being able to have time away this year but with moving house and setting the businesses up there just has not been time or the money that I have been able to not keep for some or other up coming expense.  I'd got to the point that I needed a break, I needed to be looked after, have no cooking or more importantly no washing up to do.  I needed a change of scenery.

Therefore, when a toy supplier** invited us to see their showroom in Warminster we jumped at the chance.

After 4 1/2 hours of travelling we saw the first sign.


Followed shortly after by another:


And then we were in Bath.


We checked in at the hotel and were not disappointed.



When I finally get my house sold in the Midlands and buy a home here, I am so having a bed that large and an en-suite like that!  After some refreshments we went off to explore Bath with our guide.

The last original servants lift in existence in Bath.  The lift is covered by the same rules as listed buildings and can't be altered, removed etc without express permission.



The Circus:




Our guide explained that the building are different colours as over the years dirt has built up on them and the bright ones have been cleaned.  The current charge to clean just the front of one of these is house is in excess of £12,000.


Royal Crescent:


Gravel walk, Bath (Jane Austin):


One of the entrances to Royal Victoria Park:


Sights we passed whilst walking around:


Along the way we were told all about the history of some of the places we saw.  Our 2 hour guided tour certainly didn't cover all there is to see in Bath.


Bath Abbey:



Sadly at this point the heaven's opened and we made our way back to the hotel.  We certainly did not see all that Bath had to offer on our short stay but have decided that this is one City we would like to come back to when we have more time available.


Although it was drizzly and damp this visit got us out and about and walking together as a family and because of that I am linking up with Coombe Mill for #CountryKids.




Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall




**Our stay at The Hilton City Bath (Bed, Breakfast & Evening meal) and 2 hour guided tour of Bath for 2 adults and 2 children was provided by Asobi Toys.  We were not asked to write this review, received any other compensation or contracted to make any purchases from them.  This piece has been written showing our experience in Bath.  The three further posts that will appear shortly were experiences we paid for ourselves and are in no way linked to Asobi Toys or any of their associates.

15 comments:

Deb Hickman said...

I've never been to Bath, it's a place I really want to visit, it looks gorgeous.
I hope you and the children are well and the shop's doing well.
We are all fine thank you.

Nichola Fabfortymum said...

Bath is one of those cities that I would love to visit. It's just so unmistakeable in photos isn't it. It looks and sounds like you had a great visit. Great hotel room too :)

Cheryl said...

We love Bath and are lucky to live very near. It really is a fun city. It's one of those places that there is always something quirky to spot.

mumturnedmom said...

Bath is beautiful isn't it? Glad you had a lovely trip - looks like a beautiful hotel :) Sara (@mumturnedmom) xx #CountryKids

Only Best For Baby said...

Lovely post and great photos of Bath, a beautiful city. Linking up with #CountryKids

Leadership Learning said...

A beautiful town! I love buildings like that.

louise said...

Love your photos of Bath, sounds like a great city break x

The Reading Residence said...

I do love Bath, and am an Austen fan, so like the idea I walk in her footsteps. And that hotel room looks fabulous. Glad you had a great time :)

Angela said...

Bath is on my list of places to visit one day

Coombe Mill - Fiona said...

What a picturesque city - such lovely architecture. I'm glad you were all able to get a away for a break, it's been a busy time and you deserved it. The hotel looked lovely and how great to have your own guide. Thanks for linking up and sharing with Country Kids.

MsXpat said...

Lovely photos. Bath has a special place in my heart. Funnily enough I was thinking of treating myself to a spa day there. I've been to the city twice and I can't get enough.

Lakes Single Mum said...

not been for years a beautiful city

JallieDaddy said...

It's a beautiful city! I'd love to do a tour like that one day . Great photos :)

Colette said...

Bath is absolutely on my list of places to visit! Your hotel looks especially lovely!

Happy Homebird said...

I adore Bath and must go back again. That is really interesting about the houses costing all that money to clean - I love facts like that. Would love to live in one of those :) Sam@happyhomebird